Dealing with the news media can feel like dancing with the Devil: it's great when the coverage is positive and your messages are included but soul destroying when the resulting article/s are either inaccurate or unfavourable.
Our media training workshop gives you the skills and confidence to control the interview process from the outset, thus helping to protect and promote your own and your organisation's reputation. All of our media training workshops are customised to reflect your specific issues and opportunities so that your new-found skills can be put to use immediately.
Media training is also useful for helping to improve your presentation and general communication skills, and giving you techniques to think on your feet and to gain confidence under pressure.
All workshops simulate a range of interview experiences (including camera interviews) so that you are prepared for television, radio, online and print media interviews.
Contact us today about our half- and full-day workshop.
- Trends and basics of dealing with the New Zealand media
- How the news media operates, including gatekeepers and deadlines
- What to do when a journalist calls
- Home truths about journalists and how to gain their respect
- What is ’news’ – defining your hook/angle and preparing your pitch
- Key messages, bottom lines and overriding objectives
- Elevator interview – how to get your message across in 30 seconds
- Managing difficult interviews – how to deal with aggressive reporters
- Practical techniques for handling difficult questions
- Managing issues so there is no crisis
- What to do when you are in the wrong
- Presentation skills – practical advice on how to improve your overall presentation skills whether presenting to the board or media
- Practical techniques for dealing with nerves, tension and image
- PR disasters and why the media love them
We found Cadence Communications’ media training to be a valuable experience. It was easy to understand and they had clearly taken the time to consider our situation and ensure it was truly bespoke for our needs. Cadence did a great job of preparing tricky questions for us. As a start-up, we found this was great because we hadn’t considered many of these questions so it was great to learn how to deal with them before getting into a media interview situation. We highly recommend using Cadence for media training.